Pages

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Here's the story..

Adam and Rachel invited us on an outing with their cute boys to go up to silver lake and fish and four wheel. We had such a blast and it was sooo beautiful up there :)

so gorgeous.
my man.
i love us.
by the way, Mischa picked up some dry horse poop and stuck it in her mouth... just a split second before I jammed my finger in there to try and get it out. so gross I know. don't judge. haha



Anyway.. on the way down Benj and I decided to drive the four wheelers back down the mountain to the trailer, while Adam and Rachel drove down in the truck. The road is a dirt, rocky road, that has a lot of switch-backs, or sharp turns. On those sharp turns and these things called burmes where four wheelers or dirt bikers drive slightly on the side of the hill before coming back down to the road. so I decided i'd be daring like my husband and try these out. I really did do well on most of them.. until I came to this one. It all happened super fast but we pretty much think the four wheeler tipped, I fell off (slightly in front of it), then it kept going, ran me over, then headed down the steep hill/cliff to it's potential death (which I had no idea could happen at the time). anyway back to me. I was in pain from the fall.. you know, that instant sharp, excruciating pain that you know is only temporary but it hurts just so dang bad! plus I couldn't breath and I was dizzy cause apparently I had hit my head. hard.
In the mean time, Benj looked back, saw some of what happened then rushed to my side. but just for like 30 seconds.. til he said 'hold on Jack, I gotta go check on the four-wheeler'. Yeah I would've been pretty upset, but I was in pain because as I tried to push myself off the ground, I was positive my collar bone was broken. yes it killed, no I didn't cry, although I wanted to.
A minute later a few cars stopped (cause I was like lying in the middle of the road, not able to move). Then a few people rode up on four wheelers. Luckily, one of the guys was a fire fighter, and one of the girls was a nurse. I know, how convenient. I stood up and literaly couldn't see and was about to pass out. They had me lye down which helped. The fire fighter made me a sling out of a t-shirt and I rode down in the truck. 
A few days later, I got an x-ray. I was totally convinced that it was just a single break, i'd just wear a sling, and be fine in four to six weeks. Welp, not so much. My doctor came in and said it was broken in THREE places. Oh great. Apparently only like 10 percent of collar bone breaks need surgery, and mine definately did! Oh and I had a bunch of minor scrapes and two HUGE bruises on my side. Saw an Orthopedic Surgeon (the same one who did my 1st shoulder surgery 6 yrs ago) and he recommended surgery. Got the surgery about 5 days later.. longest five days of my life (not really, but it felt that way at the time). Surgery only took about an hour and a half (did I mention I HATE coming out of anesthesia?). Anyway, here's the aftermath:
One long rod across the bone, and 13 pins/screws.
And a lovely 6-8" scar.
A week after the surgery I could hold Mischa again. How crazy is that! Anyway, I'm still a bit sore on the incision spot and numb around it. But I am alive and healthy and feel so blessed that nothing worse had happened to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment