Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

You catch it, you eat it.

Since moving to Kentucky, Benj still continues to find and catch all sorts of critters (like he did in Oklahoma-- we had SO many turtles) I call him an animal hoarder haha I know, he's not that extreme but still... he's always bringing things home! but... since we've moved here.. he's decided we're gonna EAT what we catch.. you read right... eat. He caught a pretty good size snapping turtle, so he and his buddies gutted and skinned it, then kept all the "meat" to eat. The next day I find out its up to ME to cook the dang thing.. of course. Well... so I did. Trust me, this stuff ain't no chicken! Its pretty much straight muscle and bone. It was so weird to deal with but we found a recipe that wasn't too complicated so I got started.

Just dip in a flour/seasoned mixture.. brown.. then set in pan and bake for two hours to tenderize the meat.


 It actually wasn't so bad. It tasted kind of like a cross between pig meat and fish.. with a slight rubbery texture to it.


So then... Benj came home with a ten-pound cat fish... stripped down to the meat. So here I go once again cookin' something i've never cooked or tried! But... it tasted pretty good! kinda like a fishy chicken!
 ohhh the things I do for my husband! I love him so much! :)

2 comments:

  1. oh jackie- you win the coolest wife award! i dont even like touching raw chicken, i would barf if i had to cook a turtle! benji is a lucky guy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh salena, I am nothing of the sort! I was dry heaving at the sight of the turtle meat haha

    ReplyDelete